Many times we know where we want to go, what we want to achieve but the challenge is often the “how” to get there and more painful is the “how to even start”.
In this season of getting reinvented it is absolutely astounding for me that my key word for the year 2018 is ACTION! I am one of those people who are meticulous when it comes to planning and prepping for anything that I set out to do. Action can only come into being once I am completely satisfied that this is it, that everything is perfectly aligned and that I am ready to go for it. However, I have not always achieved half the things that I aspire to achieve because I end up procrastinating, over thinking, internalizing my moves.
Well, I am here to tell you that there are ways to deal with such challenges particularly when you have a divine purpose that you must fulfill:
1. Focus. Get yourself in the proper mindset. Focus on what gets you excited, passionate and inspired. This will help to keep you motivated and productive. Be intentional in the pursuit of your goals. Knowing what you want to achieve is a great part of starting. Focus on getting reinvented to be a better version of you. Stop looking back at past failures and past challenges. Focus on today and what is ahead of you.
“Your most important work is always ahead of you, never behind you.”
2. Research. Focus on conducting in-depth and thorough research. Getting more information about where you want to go will boost your confidence and help with the nudge that you need to get started. Remember that you do not need to have it all figured out before you can start because after all “every master begins as a student.”
3. Face your fears. Fear is something that we all feel at some point but what we should never do is to allow fear to get in the way of our reinvention. Identify what you are afraid of and have faith that you can be and you will be - reinvented!
4. Be emotional. I read somewhere that it is time we de-stigmatize emotion and “as Jack Ma, Founder and Chairman of Alibaba puts it, celebrate what makes us human: our capacity for passion, compassion, understanding.” When we are able to be in touch with our positive emotions we are more cultivated and challenged to pursue the things that will lead to our divine purpose and we will be able to serve and maybe even save others in the process. Understand where you want to go and why you want to go there. Be passionate about your goals.
5. Ask for help. There is no shame in reaching out to the people that can help take you from zero to the next rung on your way up to reaching your goals. It is also important that as you set goals for yourself, you have accountability partners, the people who will be able to push you when you feel depleted, the ones that will pray for and with you, your encouragers and destiny help meets.
“You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.”
6. Be You. One reason that people fail to start anything is because they are trying too hard to be someone else and end up losing their way and sense of self. Embrace who you are and zone in on your strengths but do not undermine what other people or you may view as weaknesses. Be vulnerable, empathetic, authentic, transparent, be you.
“A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing; she goes where she will, without pretence, and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.”
7. Step outside the box. Get yourself out of the box that you or others have placed you in. Be prepared to get out of your comfort zone through making connections with people who will help you get started on your journey to getting reinvented. Speak up, ask questions, Reach out! Do not allow yourself to be confined by the standards of this world but rather be more open to the infinite possibilities that being a child of the Most High have in store for you on the other side of self doubt, criticism and scepticism.
8. Be free. As one great lady I had the privilege of encountering once said, we need to give ourselves permission to seek out and follow our purpose. We need to free ourselves from the things in our past and present situations that have told us that we are trapped and we are unable to move forward in attaining our goals. We need to break free of the invisible and visible shackles that hold us back from fulfilling our destiny.
“When you link yourself to something bigger than your individual gain, you no longer have to ask for permission, demurely waiting for someone to give you the green light. When you are tapped into a spiritual force for good you have all the permission you need to follow that path.”
Dr Tererai Trent, The Awakened Woman
9. Expect the best. When you expect to achieve good things even when you are not clear what those things are, it motivates you to not only get started but also to put your best foot forward on the journey to reinvention. Remember that He who has begun the good work in you has equipped you for success and He will see it all come to pure and perfect completion.
“You begin by always expecting good things to happen.”
Consciously envision a great and fulfilling future and you will achieve it. Tell yourself that success is within your reach and work towards making your goals become a reality.
“It looked impossible until my mind conceived it, believed it and did it!”
10. Surrender. Surrender your dreams, your goals, your fears, your challenges to God and believe that He has your best interests at heart. You are the apple of His eye and no one wants the best for you more than our Father Almighty. When we are obedient to our calling and give room to God to lead us and open the closed doors of our minds and hearts we will be transformed into something greater than we could ever imagine.
In conclusion, let me just share my current personal approach to getting started and to keep going as I aim to make this my year of REINVENTION and ACTION.
“Success is on my terms and at my pace, within my environment and in line with my divine purpose and my personal goals. I will pray ceaselessly. I will seek good and Godly counsel. I will be inspired by what others have achieved. I will keep trying even when I lack support, motivation or the perfect conditions. Above all, I will let God Almighty lead me and protect me through it all. I will not be deterred by rejection, delay, or being misunderstood. I will keep focusing on that which I seek and ought to achieve. I will feed my focus and starve my distractions. I will be grateful for each win, every lesson learnt and the sheer ability to keep going forward. I will not be deterred nor discouraged by my shortcomings but I will keep focusing on my areas of strength.”
This year my main action point is to tell my story and the Lord has sent many people to empower, encourage and equip me for that calling. I have held back in the past due to fear, uncertainty and a whole host of other things but God spoke to me and instructed me, like he instructed so many other inadequate men and women who turned out to be the legends that we look up to today, to trust and obey. He said to me;
“Tell it! Tell your story, stop acting invisible and playing small. Empower another with what you have gone through, how you have overcome, what triumphs you have met, how I have stood by you, been with you, guided you, protected you, comforted you, strengthened you, called you, reinvented you!”
So here I am ready and willing to heed His call and inviting you to join me as we start to challenge ourselves to be reinvented and to take action!
HERE IS TO BEING REINVENTED!